Canada’s welcoming stance towards immigrants extends beyond work, as demonstrated by its progressive public policies. One such policy update involves allowing certain work permit holders to study in Canada without obtaining a separate study permit. This change presents a unique opportunity for individuals to expand their horizons and further their education while building their careers. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the specifics of this public policy, outlining its eligibility criteria, benefits, and the necessary steps to transition smoothly from work to study.
Eligibility Criteria for Work Permit Holders Interested in Studying in Canada
To be eligible to study without a study permit while you work, individuals must be authorized to work in Canada with either of the following:
- Valid work permit that was issued on or before June 7, 2023, or
- Letter authorizing you to work while we process your work permit extension application
- The letter must have been issued on or before June 7, 2023.
Important to note: If you apply for a work permit after June 7, 2023, you won’t be eligible for these measures.
How to Prove Eligibility?
The learning institutions where you plan to study will likely ask you to prove that you can study without a permit.
You can submit one of the following documents:
- Valid work permit
- Work authorization letter
- Email sent by IRCC saying you qualify under this public policy
How Long Can You Study in Canada?
Eligible work permit holders can study until:
- The expiry date on your work permit
- June 26, 2026 (the date that policy expires)
Co-op Placement While Studying in Canada as a Foreign Worker
Depending on your type of work permit, you may need to apply for a new one before your co-op placement starts.
Open Work Permit holders don’t need to obtain a new work permit.
Employer-specific Work Permit holders must apply for a new work permit if their co-op employer or occupation differs from their current employer or occupation. The conditions on your work permit must match your new employer or occupation.
In this case, you’ll have two valid work permits:
- your original work permit, which authorizes you to study under this measure
- a second work permit allowing you to complete your co-op placement
Alternatively, you can apply for a standard study permit for programs that involve a co-op placement.
Post-graduation Work Permit Eligibility
Under this policy, you won’t be eligible for a post-graduation work permit. To be eligible, you must have a study permit.
Additionally, you should opt to apply for a study permit instead in the following cases:
- You want to register for a course, degree or program that extends beyond the dates mentioned in the program.
- Your work permit extension application is refused.
Advantages of Studying in Canada as a Foreign Worker
This progressive policy change brings several benefits for eligible work permit holders:
- Streamlined Process: The policy eliminates the need for a separate study permit application, simplifying the transition from work to study.
- Enhanced Flexibility: Work permit holders can explore academic opportunities more efficiently, promoting personal and professional growth.
- Cost Savings: By bypassing the study permit application process, individuals save on associated fees.
Navigating Canada’s immigration landscape can be complex. Compliance with immigration regulations is essential to avoid any complications. Our dedicated immigration law practice is well-versed in the intricacies of these policies. At Libertas Immigration, we offer comprehensive support to ensure a smooth transition from work to study, guiding you through the documentation, eligibility assessment, and compliance requirements.