Libertas Immigration

Study Permit In Canada

Obtain a study permit in Canada and explore the opportunities it brings international students. The application process, eligibility criteria, extending your study permit, restoring your status, working while studying, and getting your family to Canada.

To apply for a Canada Study Permit, students must first enroll and be accepted to study at a Canadian educational institution. In addition to the Study Permit, students may need a TRV and/or an eTA, depending on their country of citizenship or residence.

Application requirements

Foreign students who have applied for and been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may apply for a Study Permit in order to come to Canada and complete the specific program for which they have been accepted. You must have received an acceptance letter from the DLI which you plan to attend before you submit your application for a Study Permit. Additionally, you must meet the following requirements:

Additionally, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • Tuition fees
    • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police clearance certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

You do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada if:

  • You wish to study in a short-term course or program:
    • You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
  • You are a family member of Foreign representatives to Canada:
    • If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether you need a study permit.
  • You are a family member of foreign armed forces:
    • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
  • You are a foreign national who is a Registered Indian in Canada:
    • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.

If you wish to extend your stay as a student in Canada, you can apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your current permit expires. Be sure to check the expiry date on your study permit and submit the required application to ensure continuity of your studies.

If you decide to change programs or schools/institutions, you must complete an application to change the conditions of your study permit.

If you have lost your student status in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a restoration of status within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit.

After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

Students enrolled in a full-time program may work on-campus or off-campus without a work permit, subject to the conditions on their Student Permit.  Certain conditions apply, depending on the location of work, the type of program the student is enrolled in, and the date on your Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) – an official document that confirms that IRCC has received your application.

You may bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner will receive an open work permit for the duration of your studies under a C42 exemption. The open work permit will allow your spouse or partner to work for any employer within Canada.

Once you have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, you may qualify to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. This program offers graduates a three-year open work permit which will allow them to earn valuable work experience. You do not need a job offer to get an open work permit.

Additionally, Canada allows foreign students who have completed their studies in Canada and have gained a certain amount of work experience within Canada to apply for immigration to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

*It is essential to ensure that you attend a school that is eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). Not all Designated Learning Institutions (DLI schools) are eligible.  If an individual attends a private institution that is not eligible for a PGWP, not only will the individual not be eligible for a work permit after they graduate, but they will also not be able to get an Open Work Permit for their spouse that is accompanying them to Canada.

For more information, visit the Post-Graduation Work Permit page.

Our Process

Featured Insights

Frequently Asked Questions

Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of study of 6 months duration or less. While a study permit is not required for short-term courses, an officer must accept and process an application for a study permit, even when the duration of the course or program of study is 6 months or less

The Government of Canada does not pay for the medical costs of foreign students. Health insurance is within the provincial jurisdiction and therefore varies among provinces. We recommend that you contact the school to receive more information regarding the health insurance packages they offer.

  • Time frame;
  • Ensuring you have an offer from DLI and a school that can lead to a PGWP;
  • Proof of funds;
  • Letter of explanation; and,
  • Ensure your passport is valid well beyond the length of studies (especially if you’d like to apply for a PGWP)

Yes, you need a medical exam to study in Canada if you:

  • come from a designated country/territory for which Canada requires a visa
  • will be here for more than 6 months
  • are a medical student or
  • will work in health care or another field that brings you into close contact with children or the elderly

Apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. The times needed to process your application may vary among visa offices. Check our application processing times for details

If the learning institution you’re studying at is de-designated while you’re studying there, you can keep studying until your current study permit expires. However, you won’t be able to extend your permit unless you’re enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI).

If you’re in Canada with a valid study permit

You’ll need to

  • apply to and be accepted at a new DLI
  • update the information about your learning institution.